If you know me in real life or follow me on social media, you're probably aware I just moved from Decatur, GA to New Canaan, CT! We left our house in Georgia on March 18th... Chris went to work in Connecticut while I lived at my mom's until our new house was ready. Below are some of the last photos I took of our Decatur home...
On March 27th, I boarded a one way flight with my Mom, Autumn and Pixie... and a few hours later we reunited with Chris at the new home in New Canaan, CT! As of today, I've now lived in Connecticut for a month! The first week my Mom stayed with me to help unpack and set up the house while Chris was at work. She provided much needed company as I settled in and explored around town... If you're reading this - thank you so much Mom!! Miss you!
My thoughts so far:
- Winter lasted longer here than I'm used to... so I'm looking forward to seeing what Spring/Summer is like soon. But surprisingly the cold weather hasn't bothered me here as much as it did on the super "cold" days in Atlanta.
- I LOVE our new house. I was really sad to leave our Decatur home, but this one is what I always hoped for when I imagined our family home. The layout is great, the natural light is wonderful, the view of the pond across the street is lovely, having a basement is fantastic and I'm really enjoying the fenced in yard with Pixie and Autumn.
- I was worried the NYC commuter train and geese sounds would be annoying, but I actually enjoy seeing and hearing both throughout the day.
- The walkability is fantastic!! This is also something I had hoped to enjoy more in Decatur but it's definitely easier/quicker here.
- The train to NYC is very exciting - so many places to explore in addition to all the local things!
- I love being SO close to several beaches!!!
Cons... as much as I'm enjoying things, there are definitely some:
- It hasn't been very sunny since we lived here but I've been told this weather is unusual - so I'll wait and see what Spring and Summer are like. I miss the Spring weather that is already happening in Atlanta (40s-50s here, 70s-80s there). It has started to warm up this week though (low 60s/high 50s) so Spring weather is on the way...!
- I really dislike being so far away from family and friends. I've facetimed a few times with loved ones but so far I haven't made any local friends yet... so it can be a little lonely at times. People are very kind and friendly here though, so I imagine this will change soon.
- Some of my creature comforts are very different here: Shopping at target is a very different experience, having to drive farther for certain errands, relearning an area and the best ways to get around, understanding local rules about what is private and what is public... Again, this just takes time to figure out.
- My pollen allergies seem to be a lot worse here which is a bummer... but the good news is we are very close to a few beaches and going there for an hour or two gives me a lot of relief from the symptoms! Great excuse to chill by the water! ;)
Overall though, I'd say the good definitely outweighs the bad!
Above is a small sample of all the photos I've taken since we arrived! We have experienced the snow twice, taken a train to New York City, visited 5 different beaches, stumbled upon an awesome car show in our neighborhood, shopped at several cute stores in New Canaan and Westport, and eaten at lots of delicious restaurants... I even found time to drive to New Jersey to see my friend Sarah! (Driving through Manhattan to get to NJ was "exciting" to say the least!) It's been a great first month and I look forward to more fun adventures this Spring and Summer!!